About Murroe

History of Murroe-Boher Parish

by in About Murroe, History of Murroe, Local History

The parish of Murroe and Boher that exists today was originally known as the parish of Abbeyowney, or Abington. It was only in the nineteenth [Read More]

About Murroe

Nineteenth Century

by in About Murroe, History of Murroe, Local History

The Nineteenth Century
Eventually the Carberrys became heavily indebted, and as they were absentee landlords, lost interest in their lands. In 1820 Matthew Barrington from Limerick [Read More]

The Land Wars and after

by in About Murroe, History of Murroe, Local History

The Land War
Having survived the famine, many families found themselves in another plight at the end of the nineteenth century when Murroe came to national [Read More]

History of Murroe

by in About Murroe, History of Murroe, Local History

Murroe Today
Murroe (Maigh Rua in Irish, meaning ‘red plain’) is located 16 kilometres east of Limerick on the R506 Limerick-Cappamore road. It is a small [Read More]

About Murroe

Village Background

by in About Murroe, History of Murroe, Local History

Murroe largely developed as an ‘estate village’ associated with the needs of the nearby 19th century Glenstal Abbey. The imposing Abbey was built as a residence [Read More]